Bradley E. Neunzig is a lawyer with over 20 years of experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of civil cases. He has taken cases to trial in counties ranging from Whatcom to Thurston, and handled litigation in both state and federal courts in Washington. Brad also has extensive experience in the Courts of Appeal in both Washington and California.
Brad graduated from the University of California, Berkeley in 1982. Following his family's tradition, he served as an officer in the United States Navy. As a surface warfare officer, he deployed to the Mediterranean Sea, Black Sea, North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico.
After his Navy service, Brad attended law school in the evening at McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento, California. While attending law school, he worked full time for a litigation firm that specialized in the defense of cities, counties, school districts and insurance companies. Upon graduation in 1992, Brad passed both the California and Washington State bar exams. He continued to work in Sacramento until relocating to Snohomish County in 1995.
Brad continued his work in civil litigation in Washington as an attorney with Safeco Insurance Company and, later, with the Civil Division of the Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney's Office. Most recently, Brad worked with a private law firm in Seattle specializing in landslide and surface water drainage issues. In his time as a litigation attorney, Brad has resolved hundreds of cases through arbitration or mediation. He has taken multiple cases to trial in the Superior Courts of Whatcom, Island, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Thurston Counties. He has also briefed and argued cases before the Courts of Appeal on issues of municipal drainage, inverse condemnation, insurance coverage, assumption of risk and employment contracts.
Brad served as a Trustee with the Snohomish County Bar Association. He serves as an arbitrator for the Snohomish County Superior Court. In order to expand his understanding of alternative dispute resolution, he undertook extensive mediation training with the Dispute Resolution Center, Volunteers of America.
Outside of work, Brad serves as a member of the Arlington Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol and the Washington Pilot's Association.
Brad enjoys all of the outdoor activities the Pacific Northwest offers and can be found hiking, cross-country skiing, kayaking or exploring in his free time. Brad also has a never-ending list of projects at his century-old home in downtown Arlington. Brad has an adult daughter and a son at Arlington High School.
Areas of Practice
- Timber Trespass
- Forest Practices Act, Un-Permitted Logging and Development Moratoria
- Surface Water Run-off Problems Following Adjacent Development
- Detention Pond Construction and Adjacent Groundwater Seepage
- Maintenance and Design of Storm Water System Causing Steep Slope Movement
- Public Works Projects Contract Disputes Involving WSDOT Standard Specifications
- Construction Site Accidents
- Construction Defects in Multi-Unit Housing
- Automobile and Pedestrian Cases
- Products Liability Involving Design of Residence Heating Duct System
- Road Design, Compliance With MUTCD and WSDOT Standards
- Labor Negotiations and Grievances
- Excessive Force Involving Minor Arrestee
- California, 1992
- Washington, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, California
- J.D. - 1992
- Honors: With Distinction
- University of California - Berkeley
- B.A. - 1982
- Major: History
- Crystal Ridge Homeowners Association v. City of Bothell (Supreme Court of Washington 2015)
- Frese v. Snohomish County, 129 Wn. App. 659, 120 P.3d 89 (2005)
- Mycon v. Safeco National Insurance Co., 100 Wn. App. 1058, 2000 Wn. App. LEXIS 3339 (2000)
- Couch v. San Juan Unified School District, 33 Cal. App. 4th 1491, 39 Cal.Rptr.2d 848 (1995)
- Customer Company v. City of Sacramento, 10 Cal. 4th 368, 895 P.2d 900 (1995)
- “The Basics of Civil Litigation,” Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney, Continuing Legal Education, 2006 - Present
- “The Role of Corporate Counsel", Safeco Fast Forward Management Training, 2003 - Present
- “Pre-Trial Civil Procedure for Claims Adjusters”, Safeco Insurance, 2002 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Civil Air Patrol, Deputy Legal Officer, Washington Wing, 2012 - Present
- Washington Pilots’ Association, Member, 2012 - Present
- Snohomish County Bar Association, Board of Trustees, 2010 - 2012
- Washington State Bar Association, 1992 - Present
- Dispute Resolution Center, Mediator, 2009 - 2012
- University of Washington Trial Advocacy Program, Judge, 2010 - 2012
- State Bar of California, 1992 - 2007
- Snohomish County & Skagit County Bar Associations, Arbitrator, 1997 - Present
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, 1995 - 2003
- Snohomish County Agricultural Advisory Board, 2003 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Richard B. Johnson, PS, Associate Attorney, 1995 - 1996
- Edson & LaPlante, Associate Attorney, 1992 - 1995
- Safeco Insurance Company, In-House Counsel